Fancy a little treat? Try these delightful mini donuts, perfect to satisfy your sweet tooth!
~ Makes 18 Mini Donuts ~
What you’ll need:
- 1 egg
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 170g plain flour – you can also make these gluten free by using a gluten free blend instead!
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the icing:
- Icing sugar
- Food colouring
- Hundreds and thousands (edible decorations)
Let’s get started!
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C and grease a mini donut tin with butter or non-stick spray.
2. Place the egg and the sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk together until the mixture is pale and light in colour.
3. Melt the butter in a small microwavable bowl for 30 seconds. Stir the oil and vanilla into the melted butter. Gradually add this to the egg and sugar mixture, stirring whilst pouring.
4. Time to add the flour, baking powder and salt. Tip all of it in at once and whisk together until it forms a smooth thick batter.
5. Transfer all of the batter into a piping bag. This makes it easier to fill the tin!
6. When filling the donut tin with the batter, don’t fill them right to the top as tempting as it is! These donuts rise incredibly well!
7. I baked my donuts for about 8 minutes but keep an eye on them when they are in the oven as they can easily be over cooked!
8. Leave them to cool on a cooling rack while we make the icing.
9. For the icing, I used about ½ cup of icing sugar and a couple of teaspoons of water. We want the icing to be quite thick so it stays on top of the donut and sets.
10. I have kept some of the icing white but have also coloured the rest pink. To finish off, just sprinkle a few hundreds and thousands on the top!
11. I hope you enjoy making these little treats! As you can imagine, they didn’t last very long in my household!