Hello! Welcome back to a Box of Buttons! This week I’ll be sharing this very easy and tasty recipe with you! These cupcakes are the perfect treat if you have a sweet tooth like me!
~ Makes 8 large cupcakes ~
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 130g gluten free plain flour (can substitute for normal plain flour)
- 20g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the icing: (A Mary Berry Classic)
- 350g icing sugar
- 175g unsalted butter
- 20g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp milk
Let’s get started!
- First, place some cupcake cases into a muffin tin/bun tin and pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
2. To make the cupcakes, combine the butter and sugar together until creamy. Gradually add in the eggs stiring in between. Now add in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and stir until smooth. For an additional step add in some milk and vanilla extract.
3. Spoon a tablespoon of the cupcake mixture into your cases and pop a marshmallow in the centre of each one.
4. Using the remaining mixture, cover the marshmallow and fill the cases about ¾ full.
5. Pop the cupcakes into the oven for around 15-20 minutes.
6. While the cakes are in the oven, we can make the frosting! Mix the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together in a bowl using an electric whisk (you can use a hand whisk but it takes a lot longer!).
7. When your cases have finished baking, leave them on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes. My marshmallows rose up to the top of the cupcakes which was okay because it created a crispy top but was gooey underneath. However, if you know of a way to keep the marshmallows in the middle of the cupcakes, let me know in the comments!
8. To create the icing swirl on top of my cupcakes, I’ll be using a big star nozzle and a piping bag. Spoon all of your icing mixture into your piping bag and pipe swirls onto each cupcake. I did have leftover icing so I’ve just popped it in the fridge to use at a later time.
I hope you enjoy making these cupcakes and don’t forget to let me know how they turn out! See you next time! If you have a go don’t forget to share your makes with us on Instagram @aboxofbuttons or on Twitter @aBoxofButtons! See you next time!