Fancy having a baking day and mucking around with decorating? Or have an event coming up such as a Birthday and need some yummy cakes? Then look no further than these!
What you’ll need for the cupcakes:
- 150g Margarine
- 150g Caster sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 150g Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
What you’ll need for the buttercream:
- 200g Softened butter
- 400g Icing sugar
- Variety of gel food colouring
- Sugar decorations (sprinkles)
Let’s get started!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200/180˚C fan. Line a bun tin tray with cupcake cases ready for baking.
- Cream the margarine and caster sugar together until fully combined.
- Crack 3 eggs into a cup and slowly add to the butter mixture, stirring after each addition.
- Now add in the dry ingredients: the self-raising flour and baking powder and stir thoroughly.
- Add in 1 tsp of vanilla extract or until the desired flavour is achieved.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cupcake cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. I managed to make 20 cupcakes out of the whole mixture.
- Once baked, leave the cupcakes to cool while you make up the icing.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk together the butter and icing sugar on a low speed until the mixture is soft and has lightened in colour.
- To change the colour of the icing, add in some of the gel food colourings a little at a time to achieve the desired shade. For my cupcakes, I went for normal buttercream, a light pink shade and a lilac shade.
- To create a large spiral of icing on top of the cakes, use a large piping nozzle and icing bag and starting from the outside edge of the cake, swirl the icing in towards the middle.
- Then you can be as creative as you like with the final decoration, I used a mixture of fruit, marshmallows, fudge pieces and sugar sprinkles.