Want to make some sewing inspired biscuits? Then look no further than our scrummy button biscuits!
What you’ll need:
- 175g unsalted butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 350g plain flour (and a little extra for dusting your work surface)
- 250g royal icing sugar
- Food colouring of your choice
Let’s get started!
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the flour and mix with a spoon or your hands to form a dough. Once a dough is formed, wrap in clingfilm and place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour and begin to roll out the dough until it is roughly 3mm thick.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can out of the dough. I also had a heart cookie cutter, so I made some heart-shaped buttons too!
- Place the circles onto a lined baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Once baked, leave the biscuits to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing you’ll need royal icing sugar and water. I followed the instructions on the packet to make mine, however, I added the water a little at a time so I was able to get a slightly thicker consistency that would hold its shape better.
- When you have the right icing consistency, add in the food colouring of your choice and combine well. For my buttons, I chose pink and blue.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the icing into a button design. I started by creating a circle outline around the edge of the biscuit and then two small circles within the centre, then filled in between, leaving the centre of the two small circles free from icing.
- Once you have iced all the biscuits, leave them on a wire rack to set.
You can also try different shaped buttons! I also made some heart-shaped ones!