These festive cherry rockcakes are a great crowd pleaser! They went down an absolute storm in my household. I remember making these all throughout my childhood and taking them round to my Nan’s, and they’re still as yummy as I remember!
What you’ll need:
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 125g cherries
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Festive sprinkles
Let’s get started!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C and grease two baking trays.
- In a large bowl, using your hands, rub the butter together with the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Cut up the cherries into quarters and add these into the breadcrumb mixture along with the light brown sugar and combine once again using your hands.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract into the mix, and stir it all together with a fork.
- Add in the sprinkles (it’s completely up to you how many you use!) and using your hands, bring the mixture into a ball and portion off into smaller balls then place them onto the baking trays.
- The best thing about rockcakes is that they don’t have to be perfectly round, the rockier they look, the better!
- Pop the rockcakes in the oven for around 15 minutes or until golden.
- Leave them to cool on a cooling rack or better still eat them warm!
Rockcakes are such a versatile bake and there are so many different flavour combinations you can try such as coconut, chocolate, and raisins! There are so many choices!