Want to have a go at making your own chutney? This red onion chutney is an easy but tasty recipe!
What you’ll need:
- Onions x 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g dark muscovado sugar
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp of chilli powder
Let’s get started!
- Firstly chop the onions into small chunks and fry in the olive oil in a saucepan over a low heat for around 15-20 minutes until they soften.
- Add in 2 tbsp of the dark muscovado sugar to the onions and heat together over a medium heat so the onions start to caramelised.
- Once the onions have turned a golden brown colour turn the heat back to low and add in the red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic, dijon mustard, and chilli powder.
- Stir until all the ingredients are combined and leave to simmer over a low heat for around 30-40 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and darkened in colour. Continue to stir occasionally whilst it’s cooking.
- Once the mixture has thickened pour it straight into a sterilised glass jar and decorate it with a label. This recipe should make enough for one 500ml glass jar.
- The chutney should keep for around 6 months stored within the jar and then refrigerated once opened.
I hope you enjoy making this recipe! If you have a go don’t forget to share your makes with us on Instagram @aboxofbuttons or on Twitter @aBoxofButtons! See you next time!