These cheesy spinach muffins are great for a quick snack if you’re on the go! The best thing about them is that they’re suited to any time of the day!
*Tip: Silicone cupcake cases are great for this recipe as the cheese can get a little stuck to the usual paper cases.
What you’ll need:
- 30g salted butter, melted
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 360g plain flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 250g cheddar cheese, grated
- 220ml milk
- 1 egg
- 100g baby spinach
Let’s get started!
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a large bowl mix together the plain flour, baking powder, paprika and grated cheese.
- Finely chop half a red onion and the spinach.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a medium to low heat. Once the butter is melted, fry the onions off until they begin to soften then put to one side.
- In a jug, mix together the milk and egg.
- Add the milk mixture into the dry ingredients a little at a time, stirring in between each addition.
- Pour the melted butter and onions into the muffin mix and combine together until the onion is evenly distributed.
- Now add in the finely chopped spinach into the mix and stir together.
- Place the silicone cases on to a baking tray and spoon the mixture into them, I filled mine up quite a lot as I found the muffins didn’t rise up that much.
- Once all of your cases are filled, bake them in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes.
- During baking, the muffins should rise a little and turn a golden colour on top.
- Once baked, leave the muffins on a cooling rack.
These muffins are so easy to make and they smell so good whilst they’re baking!