These cheesy spinach muffins are great for a quick snack if you’re on the go! The best thing about them is that they’re suited to any time of the day!
*Tip: Silicone cupcake cases are great for this recipe as the cheese can get a little stuck to the usual paper cases.
What you’ll need:
- 30g salted butter, melted
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 360g plain flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 250g cheddar cheese, grated
- 220ml milk
- 1 egg
- 100g baby spinach
Let’s get started!
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a large bowl mix together the plain flour, baking powder, paprika and grated cheese.
- Finely chop half a red onion and the spinach.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a medium to low heat. Once the butter is melted, fry the onions off until they begin to soften then put to one side.
- In a jug, mix together the milk and egg.
- Add the milk mixture into the dry ingredients a little at a time, stirring in between each addition.
- Pour the melted butter and onions into the muffin mix and combine together until the onion is evenly distributed.
- Now add in the finely chopped spinach into the mix and stir together.
- Place the silicone cases on to a baking tray and spoon the mixture into them, I filled mine up quite a lot as I found the muffins didn’t rise up that much.
10. Once all of your cases are filled, bake them in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes.
11. During baking, the muffins should rise a little and turn a golden colour on top.
12. Once baked, leave the muffins on a cooling rack.
These muffins are so easy to make and they smell so good whilst they’re baking!