Fancy making a slightly different bake? Why not use the classic bakewell tart flavours and make some bakewell themed cupcakes?
What you’ll need for the cupcakes:
- 150g margarine
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp almond extract
For the decoration:
- 250g icing sugar
- 80ml cold water
- 50g milk chocolate, melted in a piping bag
- Glacé cherries (I used 15 whole ones)
- Cocktail stick
- Cherry jam
Let’s get started!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C. Line a bun tin tray with cupcake cases ready for baking.
- Cream the margarine and caster sugar together until fully combined.
- Crack 3 eggs into a cup and slowly add to the butter mixture, stirring after each addition.
- Now add in the dry ingredients: the self-raising flour and baking powder and stir thoroughly.
- Add in 1 tsp of almond extract and mix everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cupcake cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. I managed to make 15 cupcakes out of the whole mixture.
- Once baked, leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack.
For the decoration:
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate and then leave it to cool slightly. Once cooled pour it into a piping bag.
- Cut the glacé cherries in half and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife at a 45˚ angle, cut a circle out of the top of the cake and fill the hole up halfway with some jam and pop the circle cut out back on the top.
- In a bowl, mix together the icing sugar and the water until you have a slightly thick icing.
- Spoon a teaspoon of icing on to one of the cakes, working the icing towards the edge of the cake.
- Snip off the end of the chocolate piping bag and pipe a couple of lines of chocolate over the top of the icing. Using the cocktail stick, drag the chocolate so that the lines run into each other, alternating in the opposite direction, creating a feathered look.
- To finish, place a cherry in the middle of the icing. Repeat for the rest of the cakes.