This week I decided to try the Clubs and Spades recipe in the 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & other tempting treats recipe book!
These cookies had the perfect buttery flavour to them, much like shortbread but with the addition of a chocolate sandwich filling and chocolate chips! This was quite a time-consuming bake as you have to make double the amount of biscuits and cutting out the centre shape can be quite fiddly depending on the texture of your biscuit dough.
I decided to tweak the recipe slightly to suit my idea, so here’s my adapted version of the recipe!
~ Makes 18 biscuits ~
What you’ll need for the biscuit:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 50g milk chocolate chips
- 50g white chocolate chips
What you’ll need for the filling:
- 70g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
Let’s get started!
- Cream together 225g unsalted butter and 140g caster sugar until light in colour.
- Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix together.
- Add in the 300g plain flour and salt into the mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Now you can add in both types of chocolate chips. I mix these in using my hands while gathering the biscuit mixture into a dough.
- Once the chocolate chips are evenly distributed, halve the dough and wrap each half in clingfilm then set them aside in the fridge for about an hour.
- Towards the end of the dough chill time, pre-heat your oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Lightly dust your work surface with plain flour and remove your dough from the fridge.
- Unwrap your dough and using a rolling pin roll it out. I rolled the dough until it was about 5mm thick.
- Using a large heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits and place them onto the two prepared baking trays leaving about 2cm between each. Then using the small heart cutter, cut out the centre of half of the biscuits.
- Here you can either bake the small heart centres too, or form them back into a ball and make more large biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits in the centre of the oven for roughly 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Once the biscuits are baked, leave them to cool for a bit on the trays and then transfer them onto a cooling rack.
- For the filling, mix together the 70g unsalted butter, 1 tsp golden syrup, 100g icing sugar and 1 tbsp cocoa powder until it creates a smooth cream.
- Spread the filling onto the underside of the whole cookies and then top them with the cut out heart cookies.